Some health conditions are unique to women, more prevalent in women, or more serious in women. SSPT provides women with sensitive, personalized, one-on-one care in private treatment rooms to help prevent and treat female-specific issues that occur throughout all stages of a woman's life.
SSPT's approach to women's health
SSPT provides services that address women's health issues, including:
- Prenatal back pain: To reduce the risk of pregnancy-induced back pain and treat existing back pain, our staff will recommend specific strengthening and dynamic stabilization exercises; assist in enhancing postural control, coordination, and kinesthetic awareness; and teach ergonomic practices.
- Prenatal carpal tunnel syndrome: Fluid retention associated with pregnancy can lead to discomfort in the hands and wrists. Treatment for this condition may include modalities, custom splints, and exercises to reduce swelling and relieve discomfort, and education on activity modification.
- Postpartum pelvic pain: Treatment focuses on dynamic core stabilization and improvement of posture and kinesthetic awareness. We use noninvasive real-time ultrasound to educate patients and to provide feedback on muscle function. Treatment for this condition includes muscle strengthening exercises and relaxation and breathing techniques.
- Urinary incontinence: Treatment for stress or urge incontinence focuses on strengthening the deep abdominal wall and pelvic floor muscles through exercise using real-time ultrasound biofeedback. Therapists will also provide recommendations for lifestyle modifications.
- Osteoporosis: We provide services to help prevent and treat osteoporosis. Our approach includes weight bearing and resistance exercise instruction, postural education, and lifestyle recommendations.
- Female athletic performance: We consider the anatomical and physiological factors that are unique to females when developing individualized, sport-specific exercise programs to help prevent injury and enhance performance.