Golf Fitness Assessments
The main reason for most golf swing flaws is much simpler than you think: The average golfer’s body cannot physically move the way it needs to in order to keep the club head “on plane” throughout the swing.
According to the Titleist Performance Institute, 64 percent of amateur golfers suffer faulty swing mechanics caused by generalized stiffness and asymmetry in the musculature and joints of the lower body, reduced spinal mobility and shortened lateral flexibility, and poor flexibility in the hips and shoulders.
View our Golf Fitness Assessment video
SSPT’s golf fitness program consists of the following five steps to help you overcome physical limitations such as these that affect your ability to reach your golf potential:
- Physical assessment: Your physical therapist will measure factors that influence your body mechanics and ability to generate and transfer speed during the golf swing. Assessment areas include strength and power, flexibility and range of motion, balance, endurance, stability and control, and posture.
- Golf swing assessment: Your golf swing will be videoed from different angles. Your therapist will review and analyze the footage to determine how any physical limitations may be affecting your swing.
- Customized conditioning program: Your therapist will integrate the results of your physical assessment and golf swing analysis and then use this information to develop an individualized golf-specific conditioning program.
- Liaising with your golf professional: To help you achieve the recommended swing pattern set out for you by your golf professional, our therapists will discuss their findings, as well as your specific swing faults, with your professional.
- Review and modification: Many of the changes that your therapist recommends must be instituted in stages. For optimal results, a number of sessions with your certified golf fitness physical therapist may be required. At each session your therapist will revise your conditioning program according to the gains you have achieved.
SSPT’s golf fitness program has one primary goal: to improve your golf game. By incorporating a fitness program into your routine—one that improves balance, flexibility, strength, and endurance—you can help take your golf game to the next level. And that translates to more length off the tee, less swing fatigue, and reduced chance of injury.